Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Thoughts, Tips, Lesson's Learned

Here are my random thoughts, gathered along my 356 (actually 366) photos project.


Collage of all 366 photos

Equipment at the end of this project:

Cameras:
  • Nikon D7000 (NEW)
  • Nikon CoolPix S70 
  • iPhone 4
 Lenses:
  • Nikkor 18-200mm VR 3.5-5.6G
  • Nikkor 50mm 1.8D
  • Nikkor 35mm 1.8D  [NEW]
  • Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 [NEW]
  • Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 [NEW]
  • Nikkor 105mm [NEW]
   Misc:
  • Tripod [NEW]
  • Lightbox [NEW]
  • 2 Light stands [NEW]
  • Camera bag [NEW]



Taking pictures while driving in a car, "just to get a photo", results in poor quality photos.

Take your camera everywhere.  Use an iPhone camera as a backup.

Taking photos every day becomes habit-forming, just like running or working out every day.  Once the activity becomes a habit, actually doing the task every day becomes almost routine/easy.

After about 200 days, I started really, really caring about each photo of the day.  The set of 7 photos (the week - I published weekly), became my "children" and I found myself looking at and appreciating them as the week progressed.

It is ok to re-take shots you took in the past.   Monet painted the same water lily pads umpteen times.   Plus, each day you take the same photo will undoubtedly have different light.

I've taken situational photos one day, and they didn't make the cut.  I've then revisited the situation several times, ultimately garnering a "photo of the day".

I didn't do a lot of reading/training, but rather explored the camera and situations ahead of reading photography books.  My mind seems to work that way - thinking of situations first, then reading some time later.

I still don't like using a flash.

High-ISO in the newer Nikons is AWESOME.  I love the D7000 and took many pictures at ISO 6500.  Many made the daily cut.

I avoided dog/puppy/kitten shots.

Dawn and Dusk - most inspirational times to take photos. If I took photos then, I usually knew that I had a "photo of the day".

I love Adobe Lightroom.  I only shoot in RAW now - Lightroom makes most things easy (except sending email copies of photos to friends/family).

I enjoyed the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment